"It is not enough for you to feed on the good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? It is not enough for you to drink of the clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet?" Ezekiel 34:18

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Plastic bags be gone

There is an interesting article in Newsweek on plastic consumption. Give it a read. What frightened me the most was the statistic that North Americans and Europeans are projected to use 308 pounds of plastic per year by 2015.

Now, I am realistic enough to know that we will always have plastic in I think our lives. Think of all the uses the stuff has in medical equipment, etc. I think the key is to get to amount down in our day-to-day lives (think plastic bags and wrapping). Last week, my husband and I ran to Macy's to pick up a pair of jeans for him. I stuck one of those cloth bags into my purse and when the cashier when to grab a plastic bag I quickly whipped out my more environmentally sustainable one. I use them all the time at the grocery store but I had yet to use one in a retail store. From now on I will be using the cloth bag wherever I go, be it Barnes and Noble, CVS, or Ann Taylor.

I would like to know what percentage of that soon-to-be 308 pounds of plastic per year comes from plastic bags? If we all could get away from using them, maybe we could go a long way towards beginning to lower that frightening statistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment