"It is not enough for you to feed on the good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? It is not enough for you to drink of the clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet?" Ezekiel 34:18

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Extreme Couponing

Continuing on with my rant against out-of-control consumerism, I somehow found myself watching a television show on TLC by the name of Extreme Couponing. A woman from Iowa purchased 2300 items for about $57 total. (I, on the other hand, usually spend $57 on about 12 items). She spends much of her time clipping coupons and visiting coupon sites for strategies from other extreme couponers. Now this woman seems like she is salt of the Earth. She is going to donate a lot of her freebies to local charities. I hate to be a curmudgeon but do food insecure individuals really need barbecue sauce and kitty food? I am thinking not.

Extreme couponing appears to me to be a form of hording (call me Dr. Jane, Psychologist Extraordinaire). Hording is nothing more than the excessive acquisition of material possessions. And isn't the acquisition of stuff a significant source of the environmental degradation around us?

No comments:

Post a Comment