"It is not enough for you to feed on the good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? It is not enough for you to drink of the clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet?" Ezekiel 34:18

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Junk

So, I meant to get a picture for your enjoyment but I was in such a rage come Monday morning that it slipped my line as I glared at all my neighbors still tucked away in their beds. And why was I in such a rage? Well, Monday morning is trash day in my neighborhood. On opening my door I was greeted with a pile of junk on the curb so high that I think it might have qualified as small mountain. Close your eyes and visual what I am going to describe to you (all right, I know you can't close your eyes and read at the same time but you know what I mean): two computer monitors, an indoor bicycle from circa 1974, three kitchen chairs, a kid's plastic swimming pool, a purple stuffed bear, a book bag, a pair of crocs, 15 bags of garbage, and a ceramic cupid. (I was particularly disturbed by the ceramic cupid. What exactly does one do with such an object?) Now, I must also tell you that this garbage comes from approximately 7 townhouses. 7. In my heart of hearts I am hoping that one my neighbors is running a flop-house and that this is the reason for all the junk. But alas, I think the true answer is that we Americans are addicted to junk. Can't get enough of it but as soon as we do, have to get rid of it so we can make room for more of it. About half of the junk was in perfect condition and could have been donated. The other half could have been recycled but because we do not see what happens to all our junk in the end, we just throw it out without another thought.

My question is this: the Earth is reaching its carrying capacity. That goes without argument. What exactly are we going to do without our ability to buy junk? Maybe paint great works of art again? Write novels that will be read generations after they have been completed? Compose a piano piece that could rival Mozart? I think one of the main reasons that modern folks have pretty much lost the ability to do these things unlike our counterparts in centuries past is that we spend too much of our time, energy, and talents buying, consuming, and then throwing away stuff. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment