"It is not enough for you to feed on the good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? It is not enough for you to drink of the clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet?" Ezekiel 34:18

Monday, August 15, 2011

Would you like your tomato with or without chemicals?

It seems that organic farming is coming to a college near you. There are now over a dozen colleges that offer degrees in sustainable/organic agriculture.

I am trying to do a better job of buying locally-grown produce. Growing up, my grandmother in Mississippi had a farm and so each summer we would load down my dad's 83 Chevy impala with fresh vegetables destined for my mother's deep-freezer. My grandmother passed away over ten years and since that time I have been struggling to find another way to ensure that I have fresh, locally-farmed vegetables to consume all winter long.

I shop at Wegmans and have found that they do a pretty-good job of making available a selection of produce from MD and VA. I have even started to buy organic but, as with most people, I sure can tell a difference in price. Strawberries are a prime example of this: this is a fruit that should be purchased organically but have you noticed how much organic strawberries cost????? $5.99 per lb. versus $4.99. In actuality a dollar difference isn't that big of a deal but  people don't have a lot of money to spend these days and my fear is that organic, sustainably grown produce is going to become a province of the rich.

My only hope I have decided is to convince my husband to move to a farm in Loundon County, VA and grown our own food. Except, I don't like country living. What I need is a friend/family member that does and can grow me sustainable/organic food out of the kindness of their heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment